Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Panel OF DOOM: JACON 2007

It was true the last time I posted here, and it's more true now: I haven't really been posting much, have I? Between AWO, Otaku USA, and the fact that I've got to see about purchasing a home and moving within the next week, the fact that JACON is this weekend sort of crept up on me. Actually, I had been telling myself "I'd better put that panel together soon" for the past month, but kept being set back by things such as laziness and getting awful food poisoning. Mostly laziness, though.

In any case, I'm set to go in Main Events on Friday night at 10:30 PM until whenever I feel like shutting the party down, same as last year. I actually requested the smaller panel room on Saturday night opposite cosplay since the whole reason for my doing the panels was to have SOMETHING to do instead of going to cosplay events, but I am now officially the alternative to the Yaoi PJ Party. Which, if you ask me, is what oughta be in Main Events room with the amount of people that are going to turn up for that, but apparently that requires hours of setup time.

As I perform a mad juggling act of writing articles, working out real estate offers, and assembling panel footage, I find myself experience a mild crisis of faith. Certainly, the last thing I want my little corner of Hell to become is an exhibition of Youtube clips and nothing but, but at the same time, there's not a whole lot that ISN'T on Youtube these days. But even if my panel were just say, clips of The Colors of Pomegranates by Sergei Parajanov, that still wouldn't matter. Nowadays, if you want to see some goofy clips, well then by golly you can see yourself some goofy clips RIGHT THIS INSTANT. And with the spirit of Hell being "see goofy clips with a big group of folks!" and all, it's becoming tougher to get that group of folks together.

I think it's just that Florida anime fandom is crazy. The Hell-style clip show events have been a Friday night main events staple at JACON since nearly its inception, but it's never packed the place even when it's been the only event on the schedule at the time. And now that it's up against the most cartoon mansexingest cartoon mansexathon in the state? Why, it's almost enough to make a guy want to call it quits...

ALMOST. No way did I buy a laptop for the sake of having one to use at anime cons just so I could NOT use it at anime cons! In lieu of flyers, I was going to place a large rasterization of the following image up on the walls for a few hours prior, but apparently the hotel staff won't allow anything to be posted anywhere this year, so this is it as far as spreading the word goes:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I focus on doing stuff in HELL that you can't get from YouTUBE. Like throwing candy at the crowd and generally just making the show a big party. Keep the faith! And don't forget to show NINJA SQUAD...

Anonymous said...

I'll be there, Daryl (This is Jake).