Thursday, November 12, 2009

Halloween Specials That Time Forgot: The Scooby-Doo Project

In the fall of 1999, four teenaged sleuths and their Great Dane got lost in the woods while in search of a mystery.

This is their story.

Once in a while something unique pops up on TV that you wish you had seen again, and this one has been gone for a good decade so I figure it deserves a shout-out on it's 10th anniversary!

Most people here know I don't watch TV anymore, but back when I still had some faith left in it, CN put out what I felt was a brilliant marketing stunt one Halloween back in 1999. Unlike some previous ones they had surrounding doing a Scooby-Doo marathon, they took a cue from that year's most unique horror film and put out a rather flattering parody on it. Some of the promos leading up to or playing during it also were very clever and well-executed. Wished it was still this way today.

Click HERE for the film!
Click HERE for the promos!

Well that should be all for now. Got Thanksgiving coming up if I can muster the strength to do that!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember the promos more then the actual special. THANKS!

Chris Sobieniak said...

Glad to help you see it! I only wish I had a better copy of the special itself (especially when I first saw it that night). The best I have to contend to was two measly mpeg's I had found and saved off an old P2P service I had used 8 years ago (Morpheus or Kazaa). Despite the skipped frames, it's pretty much all there, though it would've been nice if someone else who might've taped it that time would stick it up on YouTube than relying on the same version I had distributed before! The promos I've included were edited together from several sources but I believe they're all there.

Unknown said...

The promo were they find Scrappy Do in the clearing always cracks me up. Good stuff.

Chris Sobieniak said...

The promo were they find Scrappy Do in the clearing always cracks me up. Good stuff.

"Daphne come back! Daphne stop, it's only Scrappy-Doo!"
"I know, I KNOOOOW!"

Whenever I think of the times Scrappy gets peed on, I often think to this promo I saw a while back...
http://vimeo.com/4902598

William Mandrake said...

How come an anime blog has Scooby-Doo on it? It's great that you let everyone know about this but please don't try to say it's anime.

Unknown said...

Heh.

This isn't actually an anime blog. We like anime and post about it here, but we also post about other things we like.

Didn't mean to make it sound like false representation. The blog is named after a live event. So, I can see the confusion that can create.

Sorry about that.