Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Aliens!



OK, I have a story for you:

Back in nineteen-mumble-mumble, I had a Halloween party and invited all my friends from school. Halloween parties are really great when you're eight.

My mom had gone to the library and borrowed a 16-mm projector and a copy of War of the Worlds. The original 1953 version. This was a one-reel "highlights" version, in black-and-white.

And Mom did not know how to get the sound working on the projector.

Actually, I'll bet there was no sound on that single reel anyway. But you can't get a bunch of kids to sit in the dark and watch a silent movie....

So, being inventive, she sat behind us, next to the projector, and made all the sound effects. Dialog, funny voices, you name it.

Man, the first time that heat-ray went off, she was back there yelling "NEROWOWOWOWOWOW!!!" and we screamed.

Prestigidination - "War of the Worlds"


Betty Johnson - "The Little Blue Man" (featuring a young Hugh Downs)


Sheb Wooley - "Purple People Eater" (1958)


The Misfits - "I Turned Into A Martian"

No comments: