Monday, September 26, 2011

RIP, Mr. Peppermint



If you were a kid growing up in DFW during the nineteen mumble-mumbles, then you probably watched some Mr. Peppermint. The show ran for over thirty years and was one of (if not the) longest running locally produced children's show.

Like any local kids' show, it was weird.

More...



There's actually a Gaylord hotel just north of DFW, but I don't think that's where this lion got his name. It's nice that he does not like the word "war" but is very willing to explain that ward is where kids in the hospital stay.

Actually, Gaylord was kind of a dick.



And then Dr. Laserbreath, who was no Julius Sumner Miller, if you catch my drift.



Speaking of amusing German accents....



The show had a tendency to make lame jokes.



Be aware, "planes flying overhead" is a "sound of nature".



If you never watched Mr. Peppermint, this should at least give you an idea what he could produce.



Mr. Peppermint died this morning, from complications due to Parkinson's. It's been years since I watched him, but I'll still miss him.





5 comments:

Chris Sobieniak said...

I wish I got to know more about this show myself. My CBS affiliate up here in Toledo use to air this one back in the late 80's before the usual Saturday morning toon grind kicked off. I just remember the name and the host wearing that striped coat.

Unknown said...

I'd never heard of Mister Peppermint until moving to TX. I've been told there was a pretty big Kiddy Host market down here. Is Icky Twerp still alive?

Chris Sobieniak said...

The Local Kiddy Host thing was something I hardly saw much of where I lived. I'm deprived!

Unknown said...

Kiddy Show Hosts are a popular subject around here. I think I need to post a few Horror Show Hosts to even things up.

Dr. Mila said...

No, Bill "Icky Twerp" Camfield died back in the 90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bI014exCHo