Monday, October 03, 2011

Mad Monster Party (1967)



This is the classic that Tim Burton keeps trying to re-make.

I'm just going to say I'm an absolute sucker when it comes to stop-action animation. You put on some Jan Svankmajer or Brothers Quay and I am going to be glued to the screen the entire time. It's from watching movies like Mad Monster Party (or the special effects of Ray Harryhausen or George Pal) that got me started.

I'm not going to post all of Mad Monster Party here, as it is available for rental (and instant view!), but I do have a making-of documentary here, with part two. If you want to know what it took to get a movie like this made, and its ties to Japan, you WILL watch this documentary. It is well worth it.

And I'll leave you with Ethel Ennis belting out a fine, fine song...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now that you mention it, there is a bit of similarity between Mad Monster Party and Nightmare Before Christmas.

I wonder what Henry Selick thinks of Mad Monster Party...