Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Monster Mash (1962)



"Monster Mash" is a 1962 novelty song and the best-known song by Bobby "Boris" Pickett. This version is presented by the Groovie Goolies, and I'm not going to admit I watched that religiously every Saturday morning.

Bobby Pickett did several follow-up tunes to this, including (but not limited to) the Monster's Holiday.

The thing that really helps along the "Monster Mash" is Bobby's imitation of Boris Karloff. That's part of why this next track is so great.



That's Boris on an episode of Shindig, a dance show. Sadly, there's no video if it, but here he is doing the Peppermint Twist.



Yesterday, I was going to do a whole thing on the "Monster Mash", but I was distracted by Mad Monster Party. Here's why (poor video):



Finally, I leave you with this: Vincent Price in the difficult-to-watch Monster Club




EDIT:

@tweetheart4711 reminds me: "The other great version was by the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, fronted by the fabulous Viv Stanshall."



That man was the personification of dulcet.

No comments: