Friday, April 06, 2012

And at the sixth hour, there was darkness



Listen Jesus, do you care for your race?
Don't you see we must keep in our place?
We are occupied
Have you forgotten how put down we are?
I am frightened by the crowd
For we are getting much too loud
And they'll crush us if we go too far
If we go too far


Danno and I are in slight disagreement on this one. I prefer Jesus Christ Superstar and he prefers Godspell. Both debuted in 1971.



Yes, it's all for the.....(all your wrongs will be redressed..)
Yes, it's all for the.....(you must never be distressed....)
Yes, it's all for the.....(someone's got to be oppressed!)


Godspell is more likely to be performed at your local high-school, for obvious reasons. It's more music-hall in style and doesn't spend any time talking about prostitutes or Roman occupation.

I can't give you a precise reason I prefer JC:SS, if maybe I just like drama like that or its general counter-culture nature. Interestingly enough, of the two of us, I'm the optimist.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

JCSS is way too serious. Does anybody smile in JCSS? Crack a joke? Nope. JCSS is serious business. All swagger and pretentiousness.

To be honest, Godspell ain't much better. Where JCSS is all NO FUN ALLOWED, Godspell is LOL random. Half the time I'm trying to figure out if the visual metaphor is literal or what.

Unknown said...

Also, Andrew Lloyd Webber can't write a tune for crap.

Dr. Mila said...

oh, there's a few smiles in JC:SS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9ALiADrJro

Chris Sobieniak said...

I don't watch any of these!

Unknown said...

Yeah, that was sure some comedy. That Andy Webber is a hoot. I couldn't stop laughing...