Friday, April 29, 2011

Theremin!



Some people, no matter how much evidence you give them, will refuse to accept the truth set before them.

I've always been fascinated by this silly instrument. It's the perfect intersection of geek and artist, and in a very noli me tangere kinda way. I even had plans (ha ha) to build my own that fell short when my Telefunken catalog did not show up.

(I did get to have a wonderful conversation with Phil York about the theremin back in 2004 and I wish I had recorded it. If you have a time machine, please contact me.)

But, with this odd instrument in mind, here's some fun videos that explain why this is so great.

More...





This is where most people know that sound from.



Or here.



Jerry Lewis, easily confused.



Clara Rockmore, whose fingering technique is still in use today.



Other techniques get you a different sound.



It also helps if you TURN IT ON.



THERIMEME!






I'm not even going to get into the daxophone or waterphone, but I should.

7 comments:

Chris Sobieniak said...

I had to delete my post based on the thought that it was only impressing me after all! It's OK for me since I knew it wasn't going anywhere and I figured it was a waste of time just trying to put it together. It also didn't help my mouse is on it's last leg too. Have to go get a new one whenever any real money comes in.

Dr. Mila said...

Nuuuuuu! I loved it! Bring it back in all its monochromatic glory.

I'll send you a mouse. I'll do it. I have an extra Logitech Trackman in a box.

Chris Sobieniak said...

That might help me out, is it an optical mouse? I tend to favor those myself. Course I had to go and check that out just now to see it's an optical wireless trackball. I wasn't specifically looking for one of those personally, just the basic style mouse for me anyway, but if I don't have to spend any money than whatever I've been trying to get in for bills and no job for the past few months, I may have to take it. I just don't care for trackballs personally.

I did actually destroy that lovely piece of ingenuity already, not because of the frustration, but that it actually crashed my browser and I had to restart the PC all over again! But don't worry, I have it all in memory and can pull it out again at any moment.

Dr. Mila said...

It's one of these http://amzn.to/iq2f30. I'm sure we can get one shipped out to you.

Chris Sobieniak said...

Hmmm, that one might not be too bad since it looks like a good design. And look, I've saved $30 by doing nothing!

If I can message you privately, I'll give you my mailing address, so you can help contribute to the Christopher M. Sobieniak Financial Support Foundation!

Unknown said...

Hey Chris, can you repost that post? If nothing else Mila will fix it.

Plus I wanna see it.

-danno

Chris Sobieniak said...

OK, I'll do it, if only for you Dan!