Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Girlie Stuff



I watch this cartoon and and think, "Do not fade, do not grow old."

But what I really think about is that new lotion that smelled just like one of these dolls and how it took me back.

More...





Each one of these dolls had their own unique scent. My sister and I had the first six, and it was not long before we discovered that the Rose Petal clothes also fit She-Ra dolls and Strawberry Shortcake.



This was another set of toys that had a smell. I don't know why girls' toys had to have specific scents. Maybe they thought we couldn't see that well.



I can't find this one in English. "Charmkins, Charmikns, They love hangin' around." They also were scented. I think I only had three of these growing up: Morning Glory, Poison Ivy, and some weird raccoon in a dress.



A major selling point in any girls' toy is the hair. We had a pink one, a green one, and a blue one. They had an unfortunate run-in with some Magic Sand and never recovered. Mildew is not your friend.



Once again, the hair. It's all about the hair.



I do recall that those tails would pop right out if you tugged on them hard enough. It was just a metal ferrule holding everything in. And yes, you can get them back in with a rat-tail comb.



At least they didn't have hair. But you can almost hear Germany in that theme song.


3 comments:

Chris Sobieniak said...

On "Rose Petal Place"...
The guy behind this produced a lot of familiar favorites like "An American Tail", "The Pirates of Dark Water", "Cats Don't Dance" and so-on, though of course those stuff weren't as girly as this!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Kirschner

I once had one of those Monchhichis as well (being 6 years old then), they still make 'em even today, though their presence in the US is pretty lost to the depths of time (much like the cartoon series it spawned off too).
http://www.monchhichi.co.jp/
http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2011/01/18/monchhichi-marks-a-milestone/

Apparently some US stores like Target still has 'em, I ought to see!

Dr. Mila said...

Links through link through links got me here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkAkf0JAa-c

What a great theme song!

Chris Sobieniak said...

God, how many shows had there been with that guy by now, like 7 or something?