Wednesday, June 22, 2011

James Bloody Burke



My god! What will happen to these people? It's a horror movie in the making.

I used to watch this a kid. Looking at it now, the thing that hurts the most is seeing the Twin Towers. And so it goes.

More...





The blackout of '77 was actually very important to the entire hip-hop movement.

Many electronic stores were targeted during the looting spree and the DJ equipment stolen was soon put to good use. Back then this kind of equipment was way beyond the financial reach of most kids and, unlike now, there was no second-hand market to speak of. As Grandmaster Caz, one of the early pioneers (and one of the Cold Crush Brothers) so rightly points out: "It was like Christmas for black people. The next day there were a thousand new D.J.'s"

Remember that, as you bob yo head.



I do so love the phrase "friendly monster". I enjoy this clip for axe-action, if nothing else.

What do you want to change?



Burke started as the science reporter at the BBC. Watch as he reasonably freaks out in this clip.



Oh, here's a thing I saw in high school! (That was back in nineteen mumble-mumble.) I'll tell you, it was the first thing in my mind when I saw this story.



Burke went on to make "The Day the Universe Changed". I had always respected his willingness to view things from an off point.



And, he was willing to make concessions to those who thought differently from him.



I include this because I know that no hero above reproach. Nothing is sacred. Everything is permitted.








1 comment:

Unknown said...

If James Burke and Adam Curtis made a documentary...what would they make?